Tuesday, April 7, 2009

get involved.


I had a discussion with my mom earlier tonight. It was about church. Is it not terrible that people actually have to go through the thought process of... "man i really don't want to be that person who goes to church only on Easter Sunday".... b/c they are afraid that people will think they don't really love the Lord, they are just coming because it's Easter (even if that is the case).

Mom said, "I want to be a part of a church where my friends who drink and cuss are welcome there too". I think a lot of churches say we are about community and openness, but the reality is... when we see something or someone that seems to be "out of place" in church today it makes us feel a little uncomfortable or maybe just raises a special awareness to that someone or something. We should expect to see people in our churches who are different minded than that of our Christian values... and even furthermore, embrace them with love.

I understand my mom's concern with the modern church, but does that mean that just because many of the churches around us may have this problem with true acceptance, that we can just sit at home and not be involved in an active fellowship of believers simply because they don't do church the way we think it needs to be done. I think not. Maybe God is wanting to use people like my mom, who has a heart for the "un-accepted" in today's church, to step-up and lead in the revolutionizing of the way we do church. I don't think it does us any good to sit back and say... "well they're not doing it exactly right, so I'm not gonna be apart of church at all." Get involved. Get plugged-in. Step up and lead. Step up and serve. Step up and LOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment